Q Acoustics Concept 50
No artificial coloring
Suited to larger spaces, the Concept 50 offers a truly high-end home audio performance without the high-end price tag. Every element of acoustic innovation featured in the Concept 50 is geared towards designing the quietest cabinet possible. Unaffected by internal and external resonances, these speakers deliver focused stereo imaging, accurate audio and an extended holographic soundstage to emulate a live performance in the home.Boasting a higher sensitivity for enhanced dynamics, this floor stander thrills with its sheer musicality and uncannily realistic soundstage.
Designed as an integral part of the mechanical structure of the cabinet, both the 5-inch mid/bass and 0.9-inch tweeter drivers are new, ground-up designs specifically for the Concept 30, 50 and 90 loudspeakers. The drive units are fixed to a remarkably stiff 3mm aluminum baffle plate before it is fitted to the cabinet - this gives the correct acoustic seal, dampening vibrations and minimizing structural coupling.
Elsewhere, the tweeter is hermetically sealed and mechanically isolated (floating) from the baffle, which means lower distortion and a lower crossover point for seamless integration through the crossover region. At 30.5mm, the larger mid/bass driver voice coil increases motor strength resulting in a 50% increase in power handling over a comparable driver with 25.4 mm voice coil.
Lastly, the crossover itself is mounted to the isolation base, keeping it free of sound-effecting vibrations and away from the electro-magnetic influence of the drivers themselves.
HPE™ (Helmholtz Pressure Equalizer™) technology
The very nature of the Concept 50 tower design can introduce undesirable standing waves within the cabinet. By employing an HPE™ (Helmholtz Pressure Equalizer™) tube design, first launched in the Concept 500, pressure is converted to velocity to eliminate these performance-effecting vibrations and to help deliver the ideal frequency response.
Boasting the same sophisticated design lines and stunning, premium high gloss finish of the top-of-the-range 300 and 500 models, the new range retains the signature aluminium front baffle plate that made the original Concept speakers so iconic. The Concept 50 arrives in three striking lacquers: black, silver and white.
Introduced in the original Concept speaker, the Gelcore™ cabinet construction is designed to minimize high-frequency noise. A unique design comprised of a non-setting gel sandwiched between two individual layers, this specially developed adhesive dissipates high-frequency vibrations, generated by the moving drivers, into heat to maintain a focused audio performance.
Isolation suspension system
A variation on the hugely effective ‘isolation base’ principle first seen on Concept 300 means the Concept 50 have a suspension system in the form of a sprung baseplate. Two plates are separated by suspension ‘spheres’ that effectively isolates the cabinet from interference from external vibrations, providing tighter stereo imaging, while also bringing greater depth.
P2P™ (Point to Point™) technology
To keep the cabinet as rigid as possible, P2P™ (Point to Point™) internal bracing is employed. First introduced in the Concept 500, reinforcement is fitted to interior areas of the cabinet susceptible to low-end frequency reverberations..
- Gelcore™ cabinet construction reduces higher frequency cabinet noise.
- P2P™ (Point to Point™) internal bracing stiffens the cabinet to minimize lower frequency vibrations.
- HPE™ (Helmholtz Pressure Equalizer™) reduces internal pressure and standing waves.
- Isolation suspension base eradicates unwanted external and internal vibrations.
- The driver assembly is mounted to the front aluminum baffle by pretensioned studs to give the correct acoustic seal, while dampen vibrations and minimize structural coupling of the assembly in main cabinet.
- Ground-up mid/bass and tweeter driver design for increased power handling.
- High-frequency driver is fully hermetically sealed and mechanically isolated (floating) from the front baffle to protect from internal resonances from the mid/bass driver.
- Crossover design is mounted on the isolation base, to minimize any microphonic pick up and away from electro-magnetic fields radiated by the drive units.
- Bass unit 2 x 125 mm (5.0 in)
- Treble unit 1 x 25 mm (0.9 in)
- Frequency response(-6dB) 42 Hz - 30 kHz
- Nominal impedance 6 Ω
- Minimum impedance 3.6 Ω
- Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1kHz) 90.5 dB/w/m
- Recommended amplifier power 25-150 W
- Crossover frequency 2.1 kHz
- Distortion (120Hz - 20kHz, @2.83Vrms) <0.2%
- Effective volume 28.8 L
- Dimensions (per loudspeaker / HxWxD) Inc spikes and stabiliser: 1025 x 418 x 319 mm (40.4 x 16.5 x 12.6 in), Cabinet width: 180 mm (7.1 in)
- Weight (per loudspeaker) 22.9 kg (50.5 lbs)